Half way between a bread and a scone lies the humble soda bread...
Super quick to make, soda bread is perfect for stews and soups. I have added oat flour to mine, you can buy it but I just wiz up some oats in a food processor. Keep it course. It adds a delicious oaty, biscuitty texture and flavour
Seriously, give it a go. This recipe will make one crispy, crunchy soda bread loaf, and you’ll need around an hour and a quarter, start to finish
You will need:
225g Plain flour
125g Wholemeal flour
100g Oat flour
5g Soft brown sugar
5g Bicarbonate of soda
Preheat the oven to 200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7
- Weigh the three flours, salt, sugar and bicarb into a large bowl. Wisk these dry ingredients together. Weigh your buttermilk into a jug
- Pour all the buttermilk into your dry mix and mix it all together swiftly
- When the dough comes together, tip it onto the table and shape roughly into a ball
- Cut a cross in the top with a sharp knife, about half way down
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray, and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack when it’s baked and brush all over with melted butter. Allow to cool.